Prize Categories and Rules
The Llano Open Fiddle Contest consists of three divisions: Youth (up to 15), Legends (65 and up) and Open (any age, but can only compete in one division). The Contest will begin at 9:30 AM in the following order: Youth Division, Legends Division, Open Division and Accompanist Division. The Accompanist Division will compete before the top five Championship playoffs.
Llano Open Fiddle Contest Prize Categories and Rules
Youth: (0 - 15)
Legends: (65 +)
Open: (all ages)
Places 6 - 10
Places 11 - 15
# of Places
Prize Money per Place
$75, $50, $40, $30, $25
Cash Prizes / Gifts awarded to all participants
$250, $125, $100, $75, $50
Llano Open Fiddle Contest Rules
NO ENTRY FEE FOR CONTESTANTS! REGISTER ON-SITE!
- Registration begins at 8:30 AM
- This is an open, individual contest and all fiddlers are eligible.
- Entrant can only compete in one division.
- Order of play within each division will be determined by a drawing.
- Contest will start at 9:30 AM, and compete in the following order: Youth Division, Legends Division, Open Division and Accompanist Division. The accompanist division will compete before the championship playoffs for Grand Championship between the top 5 contestants in the Open Division.
- The Open Division will consist of three rounds. All contestants will compete in the first round. The second round will consist of the 10 to 15 players with the highest scores (to be determined by the judges). The top five contestants of the second round will play off for the Grand Championship. Additional call backs will be at the discretion of the judges.
- A contestant shall be allowed to register until the drawing in his division has begun.
- The number of tunes in each division and rounds will be determined by the judges, based upon the number of competitors.
- When contestants are called to play, they will have five minutes to report to the stage.
- The specific number and type of tunes will be determined by the judges. No tune shall be played twice by an individual.
- A fiddler will be allowed no more than four accompanists. All players will play into a microphone. Amplification of instruments will not be allowed.
- A contestant may not enter both the fiddle and accompanist contest.
- A fiddler breaking any rule of the contest shall be disqualified. Judges shall have complete control of contest rules and results.
- Judges shall sign each score sheet and score each tune 70 to 100 points.
- No recording made during any contest by any party shall be offered for sale in any form without the written permission of the Llano Fiddle Fest Board of Directors.
- Upright bass may not be played in Accompanist Division contest.
- The only tune currently restricted is Orange Blossom Special.
- Accompanist instruments (guitar, bass) participating in Fiddler Contest may choose not to participate in the Accompanist Division Contest.
- Cross-tuning not permitted, once on stage for performance.